BIM & 5D Estimating
5D BIM (Building Information Modelling) is the stage of using BIM models for cost management.
5D BIM is still in its infancy, but at MMC Quantity Surveyors, we are at the forefront of this innovation.
The key feature of 5D estimating is using the data contained in Revit or IFC models to considerably reduce the time involved in taking off of quantities.
More revisions can then be undertaken in a shorter time frame to assess the most cost effective options
This leaves more resources available for higher value work such as cost analysis and cost comparisons.
Effective collaboration is therefore crucial to making 5D BIM work effectively.
The Benefits of 5D BIM:
- More detailed estimates in less time than manual methods
- Resulting in quick turn around of options
- It is not necessary to design something to produce a cost option as parameters can be set in our software
- This reduces the risk of re-design and designing options
- Greater cost certainty as detailed estimates are produced from model rather than accepted industry rates per m2 or historical cost data.
- Again reducing the risk of re-design
The main features of 5D estimating are;
- Automated quantity take-off
- Fast revisions of quantity and cost information
- Live links between drawings and quantities
- Free reader software to allow end users see where all the quantities are taken off
These features mean that you can get more options priced faster to ascertain the best option for your building.
When many small changes are made, it can result in very significant cost savings on an overall project.
5D BIM is where the client can derive huge value from a model.
To date, our experience has been that clients are generally unaware of the value BIM can be to them & are not generally concerned how a project is delivered, so long as there is no additional cost to them.
However, BIM can be a significant benefit not just in the cost management process of a building, but also in the quality of construction and as a facilities management asset after completion.